When cycling, it is important that you wear a helmet. Though these products can mess up your hair and do not always look the most flattering, they provide essential protection to your head. Because of this, you must wear them. In this article we are going to look at the best bike helmets for women.
However, finding bike helmets for women can be tough. A lot of the products on the market are aimed at men. Consequently, they gesture designs that are better suited to men. Even unisex bike helmets can sometimes be quite unappealing to women.
If you are a female cyclist, do not worry. We have found a selection of the best bike helmets for women. Please consider these incredible items when you are shopping for a helmet.
OUR TOP PICK
Up first on our list of best bike helmets for women, this unisex bike helmet from Retrospec will be more than suitable for women. This amazing product is extremely customizable, coming in a variety of sizes and colors.
This means that you can find the helmet that works best for you. The helmet is available in 3 different sizes, namely small, medium, and large. Aside from this, the helmet has lots of other desirable features, including:
- Multiple colors: this amazing helmet provides plenty of choices. The gorgeous colors that you can choose from rose gold, black, eggshell, cool mint, forest, navy, or slate. All of these colors look great. This wide range means you can find a color that suits you. Our personal favorites are rose gold and cool mint.
- 11 vents: when you cycle, you can begin to feel hot. To provide some relief, this helmet has been intelligently fitted with 111 vents. These vents result in the helmet being more breathable by enhancing the airflow.
- Easy cleaning: if you do not clean your helmet often, sweat can build up. This can lead to unpleasant odors. Fortunately, this helmet has the answer in the form of removable interior pads. These pads are super easy to wash, meaning that you can stop this build-up. Plus, they dry really fast, meaning that you can reinstall the pads ready for your next cycling session.
- Useful visor: cycling in the sun can make seeing where you are going tough. Luckily, this helmet has a built-in visor for added visibility in the sun.
- Coloring issues: some customers have complained that their helmets have arrived with colors that do not match the pictures or descriptions. Though the colors were often similar, they were a different shade to the images of the helmet. While we did not have this experience, you may want to bear it in mind if you have your heart set on a specific shade.
Also available at Retrospec
Next on our list of best bike helmets for women, if you are looking for a bike helmet that comes in some funky colors and patterns, this brand will be ideal for you. These eye-catching designs are sure to make everyone who sees you envious.
Alongside this design, we love how breathable this helmet is. It has been fitted with an impressive 18 vents, enabling your helmet to have improved airflow. The other features that we adore include:
- Cool designs: these helmets have distinctive and bold designs. There are loads of colors to choose from black, blue, dark pink, matte black, navy, pink, purple, and red. Therefore, you are almost certain to find a color that appeals to you. Most women will love these designs.
- Durable materials: in order to protect you properly, it is vital that bikes be made from strong materials. This helmet is no exception, with the outside of the helmet being made from a sturdy PC. This strong material can withstand blows, thus defending your head. Meanwhile, the inside of the helmet gently cushions your head. This soft foam is constructed from EPS.
- 8.8oz weight: the lightweight helmet only weighs 8.8oz/ 250g. Because of this, it will not provide too much pressure on your head and will instead barely be noticeable. This also makes the helmet ideal for transportation.
- Removable visor: like the previous helmet, this item helps you to see in sunny conditions. It has been installed with a nifty visor. The visor is detachable. Therefore, you do not have to wear it all the time. It can easily be attached in a matter of seconds.
- One-size: unlike other helmets, which are available in different sizes, this AGH product only has one size. Therefore, it may not be suitable for everyone. Some people may find that their head is too big or small for this helmet. If you have a particularly large or tiny head, you may want to look at some of the helmets that have sizing options. This problem is slightly remedied by the fact that it comes with an adjustable strap.
Also available at Ubuy
Thirdly on our list of best bike helmets for women, these Giro bike helmets will be ideal for people who want a more basic design. Several of these helmets have designs that are simple yet effective. However, they also have some more complex designs.
This diverse range means that you will be able to find a design that suits you. Besides this, the helmet is also super safe. Safety has clearly been an important factor in the design of this helmet. There are more reasons why we love this helmet, including:
- Unique looks: though this brand offers some more simplistic yet stylish looks, such as the matte white/ urchin combination, it also has some more unique designs. For instance, the matt black/ electric purple helmet has a striking look that will look beautiful on most users.
- MIPS: standing for Multi-Directional Impact Protection System, this feature ensures that your head is protected. It will redirect any energy in the event of a collision.
- Aimed at women: many of the helmets on this list are unisex. As a result, they are suitable for women but are not necessarily marketed at them. However, this helmet from Giro is a little different. It has actually been aimed at women. Therefore, it is perfect for this gender.
- Ventilation system: to keep you cool during your intense cycling sessions, this helmet has vents and exhaust channels. This will get rid of heat and let refreshing air into the helmet.
- Price: this helmet is at the higher end of the typical price range. As a result, you should only consider investing in this product if you have a high budget and are willing to spend more money on your cycling equipment.
Also available at:
If you are looking for bright and bold designs when exploring the best bike helmets for women, you have come to the right place. These lively designs will make you instantly recognizable. Plus, the helmet remains lightweight and well-ventilated. It has a ton of useful features, such as:
- 3 fun designs: choose between gradient blue/ purple, gradient yellow, or gradient blue. These three colors all look beautiful, creating an eye-catching helmet that is sure to make you feel great and will turn heads.
- Net Lining: alongside a sun visor, this helmet also has net lining. This will stop insects from getting into your helmet. This lining can be removed and washed separately.
- Adjustable strap: with a quick-release buckle, this strap can easily be adjusted to suit the size of your head. Heads sized between 22.4 and 24.4 inches will be able to wear these helmets. This wide range means that it is suitable for most women.
- Headwear accompaniment: when purchased from this supplier, this helmet comes with a free headband. This useful piece of kit will keep your face safe when you are cycling. For instance, it will keep away wind and dust. As a result, you do not need to worry about looking like a mess when you arrive at your destination. The headband also comes in a vibrant and aesthetically pleasing design.
- The designs may not be for everyone: if you desire a more subtle or simple color, these helmets may not be right for you. Though we and many people adore these vibrant colors and fun gradient designs, they will not be for all customers. If you want a more simple design, check out the product below.
Also available at:
Last but not least on our list of best bike helmets for women, if you want a stylish yet safe helmet, this SUNRIMOON product should be considered. It utilizes a useful rechargeable LED safety light. This is not the only thing that sets this product apart from its competitors. It also comes in 4 straightforward yet sophisticated designs.
Moreover, it also has a more bold and eye-catching design in the form of the aurora purple helmet. Its other desirable features are:
- Sweat-absorbent lining: the inner pads are built to absorb the sweat generated from your cycling. This will stop you from becoming too moist. To prevent sweat from escalating, the lining can be removed and washed.
- LED light: cycling in the dark can be really hard. Not only can it be hard for you to see where you are going, but it can also be difficult for other people to see you. This helmet has an inventive solution. It has an LED taillight, thus increasing your visibility. There are 9 separate lighting modes for you to choose from, meaning you can find the mode that works best for you. Among the modes are flicker and intermittent flashing. The light has simple USB charging.
- Adjustable: a dial-up system and side straps mean that this helmet can be adapted to fit most heads.
- EPS foam cushioning: if you are concerned about this helmet being uncomfortable on your head, fear not. This cushioning will conform to your head, thus keeping it feeling comfortable. It also has shock absorption to keep you safe.
- Poor strap connection: a complaint with this product is that the strap attachment is not the strongest. This strap can break quite easily, which will hamper the useability of the product. If you are concerned about this happening, you may want to look at some of the other helmets on this list.
Also available at:
Best Bike Helmets for Women Buying Guide
After familiarizing yourself with our sensational suggestions, you will now be in a better position to start shopping for bike helmets. Not only will this list have shown you some of the best products available, but it will have helped you to understand what features are desirable in a helmet. Moreover, it will have warned you of the features to avoid.
Despite this, choosing a bike helmet for women can be infinitely more complex than you may originally think. The reason for this is that there are numerous facts that need to be considered prior to shopping.
These factors can impact whether a helmet is well-suited to you or not. Because of this, we strongly advise you to read through and think about the factors below. These factors will help to inform your shopping, enabling you to find the right product for you.
Perhaps the most important factor you will need to consider when looking at the best bike helmets for women is the cost of the helmet. Though bike helmets are not particularly costly investments, they can be quite expensive. They can be sold at a wide range of prices, meaning that there is something out there for any budget. Before you start shopping, you should think about the amount you are willing to spend on your helmet. This will stop you from overspending.
Once you have decided on a price limit, be sure to stick to this. One way of doing this is by filtering search results when shopping online. As a result, you can rule out any results that are above your price range.
The most essential function of a bike helmet is to keep the wearer’s head safe. Therefore, it is essential that you obtain a strong and durable helmet when looking at best bike helmets for women. The outside product should be made from strong materials. Otherwise, it may break easily and cause you injury.
You should also look into whether other features that promote safety have been included. For instance, the MIPS function of the Giro helmet is an extremely useful safety feature that results in the helmet being more durable.
Though functionality may be a more important trait than the aesthetic appearance of a helmet, it is nonetheless a factor that you may want to consider. Many people will want bike helmets that come in a certain style or color. This is because they may want a helmet that matches their bike or individual aesthetic.
Furthermore, a woman may also want a helmet that looks good on them. Consequently, it is advised that you contemplate what the ideal aesthetic of a helmet is for you. Doing so will ensure that you find a helmet that suits your style.
This will help you to narrow down the numerous color options that are available to you. In fact, many products are sold in different colors, meaning that this is a choice you will likely need to make.
As you may have surmised from our reviews of the products above, not all bike helmets come in multiple sizes. While some are sold in sizes such as small, medium, and large, others are one-size only. Because of this, you may need to measure your head to see whether you will fit into a certain product.
The size of your head may limit the number of products that you can use. This will be especially true if you have quite an unusually small or large head (no offense!) The Retrospec is a helmet that comes in multiple sizes, potentially making it more versatile than some of its rivals.
Products with adjustable straps will also be better fitting than those with limited adjustability. These straps ensure that the helmet stays attached to your head. As a result, we advise purchasing a helmet that has straps such as these.
While the outside of a helmet should be rugged and strong, the inside should be soft. If not, the helmet would not feel very comfortable. This can make wearing the helmet for a long period of time truly unpleasant.
As a result, it is suggested that you make sure that a helmet has sufficient cushioning before buying it. Soft materials, such as EPS, will be superior at providing comfort.
To keep yourself cool, a helmet should have plenty of vents to let fresh air flow in. In many ways, the more vents a helmet has, the better it will be at cooling you down. If you become hot and sweaty when you cycle, this may be an especially important feature for you.
Ease of cleaning
Helmets that are difficult to clean will prove problematic. When you ride, you will likely sweat. If you cycle frequently, this can cause sweat to develop. If you do not clean the helmet, it will adopt an unpleasant odor and become quite unhygienic.
To stop this, you should wash the inside of the helmet regularly. Linings that can be removed for cleaning are advisable, as this will make the experience much smoother.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Should Women Wear while Cycling?
When cycling, you must keep cool. Shorts, a t-shirt, and sensible shoes will be wardrobe essentials for female cyclists. Of course, you may want to wear more layers when the weather is cold.
Jackets should be worn when the weather is chilly or rainy, though you may want to avoid particularly thick coats. In addition, you can wear arm and leg warmers if you want to keep yourself more toasty when cycling.
Do you have to Wear a Helmet when Cycling?
Though it is not a legal requirement in most places, it is nonetheless extremely important to wear a bike helmet. These pieces of equipment will protect your head and brain from injury. Consequently, we urge you to wear a helmet when cycling even if you do not enjoy it.