Electric Scooters are a great way to get around town, but they can be dangerous if not properly secured. The best way to secure your e-scooter is by locking it in place. There are several different ways that you can do this and we will go over how to lock an electric scooter in today’s blog.
In recent years, electric scooters have become increasingly popular. Not only are they useful for getting around, but they are extremely fun to ride. However, electric scooters are often targeted by thieves. If they are not securely locked, electric scooters can easily be stolen and this is a crime that is becoming more common in urban areas.
To ensure your electric scooter is safe and harder to steal, we are going to guide you through how to look one up correctly in today’s article. Hopefully, this will give you the peace of mind to leave your electric scooter with peace of mind to go about the rest of your day.
Keep reading for a complete guide on how to lock an electric scooter!
How To Lock An Electric Scooter
The first thing that you need to know when looking at how to lock an electric scooter or bike is what type of lock you should use. Most electric scooters come with two types of locks:
- A cable lock
- A U lock.
Cables are usually easier to install than U locks as they require fewer tools. They also tend to be cheaper than U locks.
U locks are much stronger than cables and are commonly used on bikes so they are extremely suitable for securing electric scooters. They are easy to install and remove and are generally considered to be the most secure option.
How To Lock An Electric Scooter With A Cable Lock
- Make sure that the battery pack is removed from the scooter before installing the cable lock. This is because the cable needs to be able to reach the ground without hitting the battery pack.
- IN some cases, you may need to remove the front wheel and rear wheel assembly. You may want to take off the handlebars too.
- Use the included cable to connect the lock to the frame.
- Secure the lock to the frame using the provided key.
- Attach the other end of the cable to something immovable such as a pole or lamp post.
- Once the cable has been connected to the frame, attach the wheels back onto the frame.
- Turn the key until the lock clicks into position.
- Pull the key out of the lock and make sure that it cannot turn any further.
- Repeat steps 4-8 for the second side of the frame.
- Reattach the handlebars and reattach the front wheel and rear tire.
- Enjoy riding!
How To Lock An Electric Scooter With A U Lock
- It is easier if you take the front wheel and rear tires off the scooter.
- Locate the screw holes on the bottom of the scooter. These are located near the center of each wheel.
- Using a drill, drill three evenly spaced holes in each screw hole.
- Insert a washer into each hole.
- Place the screws back into their respective holes.
- Screw the washers into the holes.
- Attach the U lock to the frame using its included key.
- Connect the other end of the U lock to something immovable such as a pole or lamp post using the included key.
- Attach the wheels back onto the scooter.
- Reattach the handlebar and reattach the front tire.
- Enjoy riding!
Alarms For Electric Scooters
If you’re worried about someone stealing your scooter, then you might consider adding some sort of alarm system to deter would-be thieves. There are many different alarms available for electric scooters. Some are simple mechanical alarms while others are electronic systems. The next section of our guide on how to lock an electric scooter explores these systems.
Mechanical Alarm Systems
These alarms consist of a small bell or buzzer which can be attached to the underside of the scooter. When the scooter is moved, the sound of the alarm alerts nearby people who can then alert the police.
The main disadvantage of this kind of alarm system is that it only works if the thief moves the scooter. If the thief leaves the scooter alone, the alarm will not go off.
Electronic Alarm Systems
These alarms are more sophisticated than mechanical ones. They use sensors to detect movement and send signals to a remote receiver via radio waves. The signal is received by a mobile phone app which then activates an alarm.
The advantage of these types of alarms is that they work even when the scooter is left stationary. However, there are also disadvantages. For example, most are somewhat expensive and a few hundred dollars.
Also, they require batteries which need to be replaced every few months. Battery life varies depending on how much power the battery needs to provide. Most batteries last between 6-12 months.
Battery replacement can be expensive so it’s important to keep track of the number of charges you have used. This way you can plan ahead to replace the battery before it runs out.
A good rule of thumb is to charge the battery once per week.
How To Install A Theft Alarm System Battery
Step 1: Remove the battery from the scooter.
Step 2: Disconnect the wires coming out of the battery.
Step 3: Unscrew the two bolts holding the battery down.
Step 4: Lift up the battery.
Step 5: Slide the battery out of the scooter.
Step 6: Open the case where the battery goes.
Step 7: Replace the old battery with a new one. (You may want to add a second battery to extend the life of the first battery.
Step 7: Close the case.
Step 10: Reconnect the wires.
Step 11: Tighten the two bolts.
Step 12: Test the alarm.
Step 13: Repeat steps 1 – 12 as needed until the alarm sounds.
Step 15: If everything worked correctly, you should hear the alarm sounding.
Step 16: If you don’t hear anything, check all the connections again. If you still can’t get the alarm to work, contact the manufacturer.
Adding an alarm to your electric scooter is a great idea but it does come at a price. Make sure you buy a quality alarm and make sure you know how to set it up properly.
Also, remember that the alarm won’t prevent theft unless someone actually takes the scooter. So, if you leave the scooter in a public place, it’s unlikely anyone will steal it.
If you do find yourself being robbed, call the police immediately.
We hope you find our guide on ‘how to lock an electric scooter’ handy!
- How To Bring A Skateboard On An Airplane - February 2, 2022
- How Much Does an E-Bike Cost? - February 2, 2022
- How To Charge A Hoverboard Without A Charger? - February 1, 2022